WEB DEVELOPER / ENTREPRENEUR
" I am an honest intelligent goal directed person. I am organized, responsible and committed. I am punctual, a self-starter, optimistic and enthusiastic. I am highly motivated, decisive and focused. I am disciplined, persistent and have a tremendous positive mental attitude. I am a team player, energetic, confident and have a magnificent self-image."
+353 (0) 83 474 2367
HTML & CSS
ADVANCED, 12+ years
Since I first took an interest in web design in 2001, I have been building standard HTML and CSS websites ever since. It has been the building block in advancing on other coding languages, where there was a need to develop more sophisticated online solutions.
PHP5 & MYSQL
ADVANCED, 9+ years
I have been developing database driven websites using PHP and MySQL since early 2006, when I started freelance web development for extra cash. My hobby grew into a business in late 2007 and I have been building websites, custom online business applications and CMS's using PHP ever since.
INTERMEDIATE, 5+ years
UNIX / Linux Administration
INTERMEDIATE, 5 years
Throughout my working experience I have always, at some stage, been exposed to some form of UNIX admin. Whether it was setting up mail servers and firewalls, configuring web servers, installing software and even modifying Ubuntu OS to work in an AdHoc network.
XML, AJAX, SOAP, OOP, Mercurial, Git, CakePHP, CodeIgniter, Yii
INTERMEDIATE, 4 years
Over the last couple of years I have had the pleasure of developing a couple of cutting edge, sophisticated web applications. This has exposed me to a lot of additional coding languages and development frameworks. I am still acquiring new skills with every project that comes along.
ADVANCED, 6+ years
WordPress is my CMS of choice. The absolute best for SEO and so simple to teach someone how to manage their site. I have gone as far as designing some themes and modifying a few plugins. You really don't need anything else, it is the ultimate package for content based websites.
ADVANCED, 3+ years
Laravel has been my PHP framework of choice over the last few years. It has completely changed the way I develop.
Ionic Framework, AngularJS
INTERMEDIATE, 1 year
I started developing a couple of mobile apps and came across Ionic Framework for Hybrid App Development. I'm excited to see how this goes as Ionic has made the transition to Mobile development really simple, given my previous background.
Stirling High School, East London, SA
1993 - 1997I attended High School in East London, South Africa and matriculated in the class of 1997.
Diploma in PC Engineering, Damelin Collage, East London, SA
1998 - 1998
After school I completed a diploma in PC Engineering at Damelin Collage in East London, South Africa. The course content included the following subjects; Basic Digital Electronics, Data Communications, Networking, Hardware Support, OS Support (at the time MSDOS, Windows 3.11 / 9x / NT), MS Office 97, Visual Basic 5.
UNIX Fundamentals, ULCC, London, UK
January 2001To increase my knowledge and skills for better job prospects at the time, I attended a course while in London at ULCC (University of London Computer Centre) on UNIX Fundamentals and UNIX System Admin.
Flash 5, Dreamweaver, Fireworks & HTML, Cape Town, SA
My interest in website development started in 2001 when I attended a course at Concept interactive in Cape Town, South Africa, on Macrcomedia Flash 5, Dreamweaver, Fireworks and HTML.
Microsoft Certified Systems Developer (MCSD), East London, SA
2003 - 2003I completed my MCSD at CCS IT Computer Training Centre in East London, South Africa. The job I had at the time required me to develop customised system applications and administer SQL Server. The following modules were completed:
- Designing and implementing Distributed Applications in VB6;
- Designing and implementing Desktop Applications in VB6;
- Analysing Requirements and Defining Solution Architectures;
- Designing and Implementing Databases with Microsoft SQL Server 2000.
Diploma in Stock Broking Investment, Dublin, Ireland
2006 - 2006
In 2006 I attended a course on Stock Broking Investment at Dublin Business School in Dublin, Ireland. It was a subject which peaked my interests and at a time when Ireland was alive with business activity.
Chief Technical Officer (CTO)
Since July 2014
Surfholidays is the only live surf package booking site in the world. I started in July 2014 to bring all technology in house. The site has grown from 35 properties in 5 countries to over 250 properties in 17 countries since coming on board. We are doing a big push in 2016 to onboard even more. Watch this space, this is gonna be great!
Senior PHP Web Developer / Team Leader
2009 - March 2016
SURVEY SHACK, www.surveyshack.com
SurveyShack is a UK company that specialise in developing and running flexible feedback and reporting systems that are designed to make collecting, analysing and reporting on data efficient and cost effective. in other words they offer a managed online survey service with custom automatic report development and data analysis tools.
My role as Senior PHP Developer involves developing the automated custom reporting and bespoke client applications. This includes the following:
- Integration with Survey Shack's core PERL online software using an API developed in SOAP.
- Planning and complete development of custom online reporting tools and data management systems developed on the LAMP stack and also using various PHP frameworks.
- UNIX / Linux command line administration; PHP/MySQL configuration, domain and account setup, backup scripts, cron scheduling and general admin tasks.
Additional skills gained:
Marks & Spencer, Home Group, Amey, Vinci Construction, Claranet, Audi UK, Travel Tour Company (Contiki Tours, Trafalgar Tours, Grand European Tours, Insight Vacations) and others.
Web Developer / Owner
2007 - PRESENT
KHULA WEB SOLUTIONS, www.khulasolutions.co.za
Khula Web Solutions was started in 2007 to support the growing need of website development services for small to medium sized business in and around the East London area. The business has continued to grow rapidly over the years by securing a couple of key contracts both overseas and local. Click here to view some of the websites I have built.
As developer and owner my tasks are to oversee and develop all website projects from start to finish. Including:
- Planning, preparation and research.
- Structure, layout and aesthetics of the site. Using Adobe Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Flash.
- Usability and accessibility testing on different platforms.
- Specialising in Search Engine Optimisation (SEO).
- Also specialising in WordPress theme design and development.
2006 - 2007
TOMORROW'S WORLD, Dublin, Ireland
Tomorrow's World are based in Dublin, Ireland. They provide Desktop/Server support and maintenance to clients throughout Ireland. Major clients include Ireland's Electricity Supply Board (ESB Networks), Hibernian Insurance, where sites were based throughout Ireland. I was part of a team of onsite Server Engineers, at times based onsite or on call for critical server outages. You can visit their website, www.twl.ie
Responsibilities included the following:
- Installation & troubleshooting server hardware and firmware issues on numerous systems incl. Dell PowerEdge (1650, 1750, 2650, 2950, 6850) HP 9000 (rp3400, rp4400), IBM (x336, x346, x3650, BladeCenter).
- Monitoring of Dell Server Systems performance alerts and logs using Dell Open Manage.
- Installation & troubleshooting server level software issues on Windows Server 2000/2003.
- Implementation and support in the migration of Active Directory and Exchange from Windows Server 2000 to Windows Server 2003.
- Configuration of Symantec Corporate Antivirus Server on Windows Server 2003 and Exchange incl. rollout on all client desktops.
- Commissioning and racking of servers, incl. network patching, labeling, OS updates and patches, domain and IP configuration, NIC teaming, etc.
- Arranging offsite engineers and escalating server outages for troubleshooting of remote sites.
IT System / Database Administrator
2003 - 2006
Summerpride Foods Ltd.(www.summerpride.co.za) is the leading pineapple canning manufacturing company in South Africa. They employ annually around 1500 temporary and permanent staff.
- Manage and support all hardware and software related issues.
- Configuration and maintenance of network and servers.
- Implement and maintain documented Backup Recovery Procedure and IT Security Procedures within the company.
- Configuration of Debian Unix Firewall and Proxy Server, through squid and IPtables. Allowing Input/Output/Forward port accessibility for email, ftp and web services.
- Configuration of Unix Dansguardian through web interface for password protected internet access and content filter.
- Implementation and maintenance of Windows 2000 Server Active Directory Users and Groups.
- Implementation and maintenance of Internal Web Server (IIS – Windows 2000).
- Develop and administer MSSQL Server 2000 database including installation, maintenance plans, daily backups, stored procedures, general queries for report optimisation; migration and replication of data; modify existing tables and indexes for in-house system applications.
- Develop offsite desktop application using Visual Basic 6.0, Microsoft Access and Crystal Reports ver.8 for South African pineapple growers' daily crop intake, monthly/yearly fruit harvest and to synchronize their crop and future harvest dates to enable fruit production throughout the year.
- Develop custom company reports for financial, sales, production, manufacturing and HR departments, using Crystal Reports Professional ver.10. and ver.8.
- Implementation of Crystal Enterprise ver.10 on Internal Web Server (IIS) for viewing reports. ASP and Crystal Enterprise used for parameter inputs.
- Support and maintenance of Sage Line 500 ERP system. Customisation of Sage user and printing forms using Sage Forms Designer.
IT Support Technician
2003 - 2003
COMPUSYS COMPUTER SYSTEMS, East London, South Africa
Compusys (www.compusys.co.za) provide technical computer services of Software / Hardware sales and support. I was a member of a team of onsite maintenance, network and support technicians.
IT Network / Support Technician & Web Designer
2002 - 2003
IT OUTLOOK, Cape Town, South Africa
IT Outlook (www.itoutlook.co.za) specializes in Network installation, maintenance. System upgrades, repairs and maintenance. Also offer hardware and software sales, support and cyber café.
Network Operations Centre Support
2000 - 2001
DIGITAL ISLAND, London, UK
Digital Island (www.digitalisland.net) is the Leading Global e-Business Delivery Network, providing integrated hosting, content delivery and services.
- Support 24x7 Network Operations environment handling the planning, installation, cabling and documentation of all UNIX, NT, NFS, servers, CSU/DSU, Wan Circuits, IGX, Cisco Router, Alteon and Sentry data center equipment.
- Monitoring the network and servers implemented in caching and streaming technologies. 24 hour, 7 day a week operation.
- Fixing 1st level problems. Problems include unstable systems, poor network performance.
- Interaction with many ISPs & carriers for troubleshooting.
- Monitoring this network by means of HP Openview, Sitescope and tools produced by DI engineers.
- Static content services implemented include http, https, ftp on UNIX systems.
- Streaming services implemented are (Real, Windows Media, QuickTime) on UNIX and MS Windows NT/2000 systems. WAN products include Cisco, Alteon and Sentry.